DOWNEY – I know I said I would follow up with a full story on City Council candidates today, but there are too many now and I won’t be able to do it right.
The Downey Patriot just reported that Mark Vasquez is now running for the District 1 seat being vacated by termed-out Councilman David Gafin.
That means Councilman Luis Marquez, Planning Commissioner Michael Murray and Vasquez are seeking that seat.
Former Bell Gardens Councilman Sal Franco, former pro baseball player Gabriel Orozco and attorney/real estate broker Alex Saab are running for the District 5 at-large seat.
Councilman Roger Brossmer so far is the only one seeking the District 3 seat.
The election is Nov. 6, the same day as the presidential election.
This Downey race went from kind of boring to very exciting, and it did it in a flurry.
I plan on sending out tough questions for the candidates. We’ll see who answers.
Here’s what I’m thinking so far:
- If contracting the fire department to the county saves $2.5 million and delivers basically the same service, would you be in favor of disbanding the Downey Fire Department?
- Would you have contacted the school district to stop the destruction of the Charlotte Von Troesch mural at Downey High School?
- Would you have voted to use public money to save it?
- The city and the owner of the Rives Mansion are in some sort of tiff. What would you do about it? (click here if you want to read a big giant story about the issue)
- More cars get stolen in Downey, per capita, than any other city? What do you think the police department should do?
- What do you think of The View housing project in Downtown Downey?
Please send me more questions, and I might include one or two.